Can you spot the difference between these pizza ads?
Did you see it?
They all talk about the same product, but in completely different ways.
- Ad #1 speaks to people who value convenience.
- Ad #2 speaks to people who value exploration
- Ad #3 speaks to people who care about diet
- Ad #4 speaks to people who value safety or popularity
- Ad #5 speaks to people who care about value or affordability
So, which ad do you run?
Well, you could just run all of these ads if you have the budget to spare, or you could have the data science team run a few A/B tests to figure out which is the “best one” for “most people,” but you’ll never find one that appeals to everybody.
That just isn’t possible.
(For example, look at the gluten free ad — This would probably result in a high conversion rate, but only for a very small portion of the overall population.)
Increased privacy regulations are making targeting much more difficult
To make targeting efforts even more difficult, on May 1st, Google phased out similar audiences/segments, and really this is just adding to the already ongoing attack on advertising effectiveness:
(Forbes already noted that, with ITP and Apple’s privacy changes on the iPhone, the average mobile advertiser’s ROI has dropped by almost 40%. …and I don’t think we’ve hit the bottom yet. 📉)
Crafting effective lookalike audiences requires a strategic approach, and it starts with building a seed audience from your own first-party audience data.
How Aampe helps customers build insanely accurate seed audiences
Aampe uses your existing omni-channel marketing messaging as the “tip of the spear” to quickly and accurately understand which of your offerings each of your users are interested in and what it is about them that they value.
Why use omni-channel messaging?
The goal of advertising is ultimately to create more "power users" and who better to build a seed audience from than your best current users?
- First, messaging response rates (e.g. responses to SMS, push notifications, WhatsApp, and In-App messages) are much higher than surveys, and because these messages are short-form, they typically have a singular focus.
- Secondly, most surveys record what people say, whereas you can observe what people actually do by how they interact with your various messages and notifications (which is much more accurate for determining future results).
- Thirdly, using a variety of channels (instead of just one) helps you capture responses from a wider subset of your users and can also help you understand more nuance around how they respond in different messaging contexts, which can be helpful as you build the content of your ads.
From a purely logistical standpoint, push notifications have an amazing 90% deliverability rate and a 50% higher open rate and 7x higher CTR than email, and SMS and In-app messages also have phenomenal delivery and open rates. All of these notifications also get sent right to your users' home screens (...instead of just getting buried in their inbox), which helps drive that increased response rate.
Simply put, there’s no faster or more accurate way to understand what you’re user is interested in than using instrumented omni-channel notifications.
First, when you write notifications and messages in Aampe, you label all of the major components with the things your customers care about:
…and then we learn what your users care about based on the elements in the messages that they respond to:
Now you can query your audience data to get the UIDs of users who are most interested in the offering, value propositions, and even the tone of the ad you’re about to launch:
You can even see the percentage of your population that’s interested in each value proposition:
...and we surface these UIDs from your existing audience to you so you can build an audience that's most active and likely to interact with your specific ad.
While it's impossible to please everyone, Aampe helps you address the unique preferences of each customer. Adapt to evolving ad targeting changes with confidence.
So, how are you preparing for the upcoming changes to ad targeting? 🎯
As ad targeting evolves, Aampe empowers businesses to find their best audience within their existing customer base. Find your best audience, from your real audience, with Aampe.
Image credit stokking on Freepik.